Saturday, May 17, 2008

The dish: Tomato Soup Cake


I brought these to our 5th annual Grandma Tea today. My Great Grandmother used to make a Tomato Soup Cake, so I thought it would be fun to try it since it's a little unusual. I just Googled "tomato soup cake" and came up with lots of the same recipe. I made mini cup cakes instead of the cake.

1 10.75 oz can condensed tomato soup
1 tsp baking soda

mix together in small bowl

cream together

1/3 c unsalted butter
1 egg
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 tsp cardamon


add in


1 1/2 c flour

1 c raisins

1 c chopped walnuts


bake cake for 1 hour at 325


I substituted the cloves and just used some random spices, I also used dried cherries instead of raisins.


the cupcakes only baked for 20 minute

I frosted with cram cheese frosting-8 oz cream cheese, 1 stick of salted butter, 1 c sifted powder sugar

I'd serve on same day as baking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They were really good! Even the children liked them. Thanks for passing on this old family recipe.