Tuesday, January 13, 2009

the Dish: Whole Wheat Bread








I have nothing to do (ok I have stuff to do, I'm just not motivated at the moment). Well, I'm a stay at home mom, and have those normal responsibilities. However, other than things like laundry, cleaning etc, I'm getting bored. So, After reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, I decided to make some bread, instead of buy it. So, out came Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook. I had all the stuff and went for it. I tweaked the recipe a bit, added flax meal and oat bran. This left the bread a little dense and hard. I think I'll make some croutons out of it. And grind it up to make bread crumbs, to make some crusted chicken or something. Next time, I'll add less good stuff, and let it rise a little more. We always tell the kids "practice make perfect." My goal for next time will be to be able to actually eat the bread sliced, like toast or for a sandwich. At least it made the house smell really great.

No comments: