Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Craft Lab: Painting a Chandelier

Back in my college days, I went to a party at one of my professor's houses. His whole house was decorated in Danish Modern. I was in awe. He had this marvelous iron candlelight chandelier in the dining room. I went home and sketched it. You see my grandfather was a welder, and I knew he could make a copy for me. And that's just what he did. I've been wanting to hang it up for 15 years. I finally talked my husband into it. We had a bit of a design dilemma regarding the paint color. I wanted white, he didn't. I painted it white anyway. He hated it. So I repainted it matte black this weekend. It really looks beautiful hanging over our table. Now, I just need to secure the crystal candle holders to the iron cups and we are good to go.
the BEFORE
primed gray and super rusted(broken camera shot)
almost there
*the white version*
the After

1 comment:

~Kori said...

What a great light feature! And made by grandpa to boot. Looks like your outdoor room is coming together nicely and will be an awesome place to hang out come summer.