Thursday, August 28, 2008

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle


On a recent trip to visit our friends in San Diego, I was in awe of their beautiful garden. They actually have a bed of land and every time we visit the landscape has been beautifully changed. Someday you will open a Sunset Magazine and find their house featured. They predict in about 2 years the yard will be ready for this honor. On this visit, I was taken back by all the changes, they built a massive patio cover, which provided a beautiful space for outdoor entertaining shaded from the sun's rays. They also have started a vegetable garden. The kids had so much fun picking fresh goodies for supper. I roamed the vast herb garden for fresh yummies for a tomato salad. It was inspiring. Recently I created a vision board, and a large section was devoted to a garden. So on the way home I got my honey to agree with putting in the garden. But where? We have know found a spot, and hopefully we can get it started soon.
My friend recommended a book for me to read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. Of course it had already checked out of the library, so I put a hold on it and a nice Librarian called to say it was in this week. So far the book is great, the Author basically moves her family from the city to live on a farm and they grow their own food. I'm only on page 10, and it's almost 400 pages long. So I'll be focusing on reading for a couple weeks. Here's a link to the book: http://harpercollins.com/books/9780060852559/Animal_Vegetable_Miracle/index.aspx

No comments: