Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Dish-Brussel Sprout with Horseradish Cream

I'm a foodie. I love to eat. Hence, my body is not my ideal shape or size. I started running two years ago, and have reshaped the body a bit, but I still have some work to do. I rejoined Weight Watchers a week before the Holidays. What a silly idea! However, this is was a great way to survive the Holidays. I counted every piece of See's candy and every glass of vino. Instead of gaining, I lost 7 pounds. It was hard giving up wine, but everything else has sort of fallen into place. My new way of eating, requires lots of yummy veggies. Here's a recipe I found in Eating Well magazine, and I have to share it. It's delicious. And Easy!!

These tangy horseradish-cream-topped Brussel sprouts are just the thing to serve with corned beef and potatoes, or alongside a holiday ham or turkey. Look for sprouts with tight, firm, small deep-green heads; if they’re still on the stalk, so much the better. To prepare, peel off outer leaves and trim the stems. Double it: Steam the Brussel sprouts in a Dutch oven instead of a saucepan.

1 1/2 pounds Brussel sprouts, trimmed and halved
4 strips crisp-cooked bacon, finely chopped*****
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put Brussel sprouts in the basket and steam until tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Mix bacon, sour cream, horseradish, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the Brussel sprouts and toss to coat.


NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 80 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrate; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 431 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin K (216% daily value), Vitamin C (130% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv), Folate (19% dv). 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat

****I used turkey bacon, you can also use soy bacon bits too.

No comments: