Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Mary June





I lost my Grandma to cancer last week. She was taken from us very quickly. I'm of course finding it hard to come up with the right words to say about her. She was also the glue that held our family together. She was so loved by her 4 daughters and 12 grandchildren and 23 great grandchildren. She had a perfectly infectious smile, a cute little laugh and a kind word to say always. From her, I inherited a great love of the past and all that is vintage. Grandma had the most beautiful handwriting too. She always hand wrote thank you notes on the beautiful stationary. A week before she left us, I had the pleasure of spending some time with her. She was very sick, finding it hard to breath, yet still beautiful. She had on a floral mumu, accompanying it was a lovely vintage beaded necklace that matched perfectly. She even had her lipstick on. She laughed with me and shared her stories. I believe my sentimentality comes from the stories she left us. A true California girl, she loved to organize her collections, she was always very young for her age. I feel honored to have loved and been loved by this kind woman.

1 comment:

Elise said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have many wonderful memories and I hope they can help ease your sadness.