Friday, October 30, 2009

The Dish: Chicken and Dumplings (the healthy version)





This is one of my go to recipes when I have lots of carrots and celery on hand. I've been making this since I was a kid, it's my favorite meal. I'm going to share my newest version, which is a bit healthier than my old one.

Crock pot chicken and dumplings

1- small medium onion, chopped however you'd like
3-carrots cut into coins
3- stalks of celery chopped
3- sprigs of rosemary
4- cups chicken broth or 1 can Cambell's cream of celery soup
6- pieces of uncooked chicken, any cuts will do, bone in or out
Garlic to taste
salt and pepper to taste

1 batch of dumplings from mix, Bisquick is my favorite----not healthy

Put all of the above ingredients in crock pot. If using soup can, add 2 cups of water. Cook on low for 6-8 hours. About 45 minutes before you are ready to eat, drop dumplings into crock pot.

I've been known to add an assortment of other veggies, like turnips, mushrooms, peas, or green beans. This is great for cleaning out the frig!

No comments: